Welcome to Shebbear Community Primary School
Thank you for visiting our website, which I hope you find to be useful and informative. I have been the Head Teacher of this lovely primary school – which was founded in 1877 - since September 2012, and since that time I have been pleased to see that our children have made good progress across all curriculum areas and that our numbers have grown so that we are now very nearly at capacity; it has been lovely to welcome so many new families to our school and to see it thrive and grow. If you are contemplating moving to this delightful area and would like to contact the school, in the first instance either telephone or email our school administrator, Mrs Hawker, on the contact details provided below.
I am delighted to be able to tell you that we were assessed as a ‘Good’ school in our OfSTED inspection held at the beginning of March 2012 and this reflects the dedication, commitment and hard work of the staff, governors, pupils and parents of our school.
Our school is set in the heart of the Devon countryside, in the small rural village of Shebbear which has its own shop, Doctor’s surgery, Church and Chapel. Shebbear regularly features within the top ten best places to live – and we have to agree! We employ a three class structure throughout the school day which means we have small class numbers, thus ensuring that every child receives the best possible education that we can provide and meaning that we get to know our children really well.
We are very much a community school with several of our pupils being the third generation of their family to come to the school. Our ethos can be summarised as follows:
1. Our school has a family feel – we know and care for our children as individuals. Their well-being and personal development is as important as academic achievement.
2. We have high expectations – we want all of our children to achieve the very best they can whatever their circumstances and starting points. We also have high expectations of their conduct and attitudes.
3. We support our children to become future citizens – to develop the skills and resilience they need to be lifelong learners, adaptable and able to face the challenges of the 21st century.
We are very fortunate to have excellent and well-maintained facilities, including:
- Lovely school gardens and grounds
- Three modern, inviting classrooms
- A recently refurbished dedicated library area
- A wildlife pond area
- Our own polytunnel to grow vegetables
- A Tyre Park
- An enclosed 5-a-side Football Court (which has been refurbished during the summer holidays)
- A netball court within the school playground
- Easy access to the Village Playing Field and Village Hall which are next door to the school
- School meals cooked on site
- Interactive whiteboards in each class
- Class sets of Learnpads
- Wireless connectivity
- An independent Pre-School on site with whom we have close links
- A generous playground area with brightly coloured markings to stimulate active and creative playtimes
- Experienced, friendly teaching and support staff
Many visitors to our school comment on the ‘family feel’ that the school has – I do hope that you can visit soon and experience that for yourself – we look forward to meeting you.